Neal Clements

Feb 012018
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

Euroglide talk

Iit was a very successful talk on Saturday evening.  It worked very well with the 3 speakers who made it very entertaining.  We  would like to thank Julian, Dianna and Phil for their efforts. and to thank the guests  from Shobdon who came to join us and enjoyed the supper.

This year’s Euroglide is totally oversubscribed with 84 entrants (last time there were 35 ) so the next opportunity is 2020.

Diana and Phil and Julian are willing to brief anyone thinking of doing it also if anyone is interested then  something similar but less competitive and privately arranged might not be out of the question in future.   Contact Julian directly or myself if you are interested.

Medicals

Can I just remind everyone who flies solo using  a driving licence as a medical.  It must be an up to date licence and if you have a photo licence it expires every 10 years.  In addition, at 70 you will have to renew your licence anyway.

Airfield vehicles.

These are not to be taken off the airfield (unless on the back of a trailer).  Even if the field is covered in snow then they must be kept within the boundary.

Easter Junior Camp

The Club will be running an Easter Camp for junior members in the week commencing 9 April.  All junior members are welcome to join for just one day or all week.  Flying training and briefings will be given, and concentrated flying on opportunities like this is a sure way to make good progress.  If any junior member is interested, please book a place through the office.

As with coming along to the Club on any day, the consent of a parent or guardian is required and you will have to arrange transport.  If you want to stay at the Club overnight, please speak with the office about the special arrangements for this.

There will be no extra cost and you will just pay for whatever flying you do in the normal way plus food.

The Juniors are coming!

Feb 3rd and 4th weekend. We will be hosting the juniors again. It is always a great pleasure to do this so please make them welcome.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Dave Crowson, Guy Hartland, David Brown, Dave Cole

Sunday:  Dave Crowson, Mark Sanders, David Brown, Laurent Couval

Forthcoming events

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

Feb 10 Pilot Aware.  Electronic conspicuity. 

This topic is becoming more and more important and Roger Ellis has very kindly volunteered to explain all about it at a Winter lecture on the 10th  This is going to be good,  Roger is a commercial pilot and an expert on all aspects of the topic and the rules and regulations as well as how it works.  He will cover:-

Why GA and gliders might be forced to have transponders.  History and function of different transponders.  How the Pilot Aware (PAW) transponder works (with practical demonstration)

 

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.  Please ensure that this is in your diary.  For those of you who haven’t heard Hugh speak before it is essential listening and for those that have heard him before, even more so.  This is the perfect start to our season,  we want to keep safe and Hugh’s analysis and insight will help us do that

March 24

AGM and Christmas dinner – presentation evening.

 

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Jan 252018
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

Incident reporting

You all know it is extremely important that we report all incidents as quickly as possible so that the CFI can  note and take action accordingly.   To make it even easier to record an incident we have added a form  to the website under the members tab so that you can quickly record an incident when you get home or if the office is closed. Please do make sure you record any incident either using paper or email or via this new web service.

Junior opportunity

A quick heads up for any Juniors who want a career as an aviation “fixer”.  A fantastic opportunity to build their CV…
Maddog Composites situated in Brisbane are looking for a Junior to work on a 6-12 month contract in their glider repair facility near Brisbane, QLD.
If anyone is interested can they email steve.pozerskis@gmail.com<mailto:steve.pozerskis@gmail.com>

Whats app flying group

This is now working well, and for those who have forgotten the detail I am reproducing the instructions below :-

“The idea is that it will be another way for us to let you know quickly about flying prospects coming up in the very near future, and for you to find out prospects the night before you set out. This is in addition to & will complement the blog. We anticipate that the No 1 may use it the night before (and even from first light on the day maybe!), to say perhaps, “brilliant/busy day, come early”; “low cloud base to begin with, hangar doors will open at …”, “rain predicted all day, don’t bother”, so that (time-poor) members and the duty team may make the best use of their day. If, for you, the Mynd is as much a social club as a flying club (and there are many), then this will probably be of little interest, but as it develops we hope that this may be a useful service for members juggling many demands on their time, to help ensure that their visits to the club are as productive as possible.

If members of our flying community would like to join, obviously you need to have WhatsApp installed on your mobile phone.

For us to add you to the group you need to be in one of the Administrators’ contact lists, so please text “MGC Group request” plus your first and last name (and membership number if known …don’t worry if you don’t know it just say so!) to Rob Shepherd on 07709352826 or to Sarah Platt on 07754070357.

Rob or Sarah will store the contact and add you to the group. By requesting access, you give your consent for MGC to use your name & mobile data for this purpose only. You may withdraw your consent at any time by removing yourself from the group, and also by requesting Rob/myself to remove you from the list of contacts.

All group members should create a (recognisable) photo of themselves in the WhatsApp Settings, together with their name in the About field (where it probably says “I’m using WhatsApp”), so that we can all associate names and faces with the telephone numbers. Also in Settings>Account>Privacy, make sure “Profile Photo” and “About” are set to “Everyone”.

We are also considering setting up other secure Whatsapp groups, for example for Instructors and for Winch Drivers and so on. If these are of interest, please let me know so that we can liaise with CFI & Chair, & if there’s sufficient interest then we will set this up too.

Mark Sanders (XC Lead) and Sarah Platt (Marketing & Membership)”

The Juniors are coming!

Feb 3rd and 4th weekend. We will be hosting the juniors again. It is always a great pleasure to do this so please make them welcome.

 

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Guy Hartland, Nigel Lassetter, Geoff Dailey

Sunday:  Alasdair Lewis, Charles Carter, Geoff Dailey, Glyn MacArthur

 

Forthcoming events

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 27  – Euroglide. Julian Fack and Diana King have very kindly offered to talk to us about Euroglide.  This is a unique and fascinating event and I urge you to come along and be inspired. Please note that this talk will start at 17:45  

Feb 10

Pilot Aware.  Electronic conspicuity. 

This topic is becoming more and more important and Roger Ellis has very kindly volunteered to explain all about it at a Winter lecture on the 10th  This is going to be good,  Roger is a commercial pilot and an expert on all aspects of the topic and the rules and regulations as well as how it works.  He will cover:-

Why GA and gliders might be forced to have transponders.  History and function of different transponders.  How the Pilot Aware (PAW) transponder works (with practical demonstration)

 

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.  Please ensure that this is in your diary.  For those of you who haven’t heard Hugh speak before it is essential listening and for those that have heard him before, even more so.  This is the perfect start to our season,  we want to keep safe and Hugh’s analysis and insight will help us do that.

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Jan 182018
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future and the highlights of the last committee meeting.

This week.

Roof on Old MT shed

Our thanks to Richard Bennett who has clambered up the old MT shed roof and cleared the gutter.  This gutter was last cleared in 1934 and has caused us flooding problems ever since.  The next step is to improve the lighting in the old workshop and then we can use it for members trailer maintenance.

Road Tarmac

We were made an offer we couldn’t refuse on tarmac for the road so we bit the bullet and have had 3 areas covered in tarmac.  It isn’t the total solution to the problems of the road but we do hope and believe it will go a long way to alleviating it.

Mains Electric

Our mains electric installation is extremely old and as those of you who came to the members evening will be aware, unreliable.  You will notice a brand new large box outside the kitchen and this houses our new installation which we desperately hope will be more reliable than the old one.

National Trust talk

Patrick from the trust gave us a wonderful talk about the Mynd, and, at last we know who owns the horses!  He has promised to do the same again next year and I really recommend you come along.

The Juniors are coming!

Feb 3rd and 4th weekend. We will be hosting the juniors again. It is always a great pleasure to do this so please make them welcome.

Skylaunch winch

We have ordered the work on enhancing the winch. The engine is on its way from America and then Skylaunch will fit it. Once that is complete we will commission the servicing of the other winch.

Calling all Juniors.

the Air League Scholarships are closing on the 26th January and if you apply now you stand a very good chance of getting one,  very worthwhile.  Look at the link below

https://airleague.formstack.com/forms/gliding2018

 

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Allan Reynolds, Simon Adlard and Dave d’Arcy

Sunday:  Mike Greenwood, Simon Adlard, Tony Dietrich

Forthcoming events

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They usually start at 18:00 unless otherwise stated and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 27  – Euroglide. Julian Fack and Diana King have very kindly offered to talk to us about Euroglide.  This is a unique and fascinating event and I urge you to come along and be inspired. Please note that this talk will start at 17:45  

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.  Please ensure that this is in your diary.  For those of you who haven’t heard Hugh speak before it is essential listening and for those that have heard him before, even more so.  This is the perfect start to our season,  we want to keep safe and Hugh’s analysis and insight will help us do that.

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Highlights of the last committee meeting

We will be making improvements to the water supply this year including replacing the tank and securing the pump room.

Our price rises this year will be at the minimum we believe is sustainable to allow us to replace some (but not all) of our ageing kit. 

The Agm this year will be on the 24th of March.

The budget for the next 12 months was agreed,  each major area has a budget and we believe that with the predicted reserves we can replace the twin Astir with a 60 – 75k 2 seater glider.

We have received  the final quote from Skylaunch to upgrade the broken winch to an 8.2 engine and we are commissioning the work.  As soon as it is done we will commission the servicing of the other winches.

We have had little interest in the Discus over the winter and, taking into account the desire of the members to have access to glass single seaters we will add it back to the insurance and fly it.  In the meantime we are still trying to sell it and we are seeking a cheaper, fixed wheel single seater.

The insurance claim for EVV has not yet been settled there has been a delay whilst waiting for paperwork.

Health and safety:  we have been working hard on improving the club to match the desired fire safety requirements.  We are continuing to work on this with our priority always being protecting people

Old MT shed:  the gutter has been cleared (see blog above).  We intend to use it as a trailer facility for members with improved lighting

Membership: The initiatives have generated 60 prospects and 10 leads who we are actively chasing to convert to members.

Business rates: we continue to work with the BGA on this.  It is a complex issue and Charles and the BGA are progressing a clear plan to get us into a good state to appeal

Access road: we have taken advantage of a one off offer and have applied tarmac to the critical areas of the road.

GDPR:  John O’Reilly has a firm grip on this and has produced a clear plan on what has to be done to ensure we are compliant by May.

CFI report:  there has been so little flying in December that there is nothing to report!!  We had a safety review with the BGA and as a result members will see a regular CRFI newsletter, on line incident reporting and improved resource links for instructors on the web site.

 

Jan 152018
 

We are delighted to be able to announce that Diana King and Julian Fack will be doing a talk on Euroglide.  For those of you who do know Euroglide prepare to be motivated and for those of you who don’t, well you will be amazed, it is a fantastic event.   Please put it in your diary now,  come along in the day, fly, enjoy the talk and have a wonderful meal afterwards.

Neal

Jan 112018
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

K13 refurbishment

Below is the impressive refurbishment  work that Roger/Simon have organised and done on the K13 wings and fuselage. During 2018 we will have 2 very good condition work-horses.

k13 fuselage k13 wings

Calling all Juniors.

The Air League Scholarships are closing on the 26th January and if you apply now you stand a very good chance of getting one,  very worthwhile.  Look at the link below

https://airleague.formstack.com/forms/gliding2018

Lots of Flying days to come

Following my blog a couple of weeks ago, we now have a new MGC Whatsapp group set up thanks to Rob Shepherd.

The idea is that it will be another way for us to let you know quickly about flying prospects coming up in the very near future, and for you to find out prospects the night before you set out. This is in addition to & will complement the blog. We anticipate that the No 1 may use it the night before (and even from first light on the day maybe!), to say perhaps, “brilliant/busy day, come early”; “low cloud base to begin with, hangar doors will open at …”, “rain predicted all day, don’t bother”, so that (time-poor) members and the duty team may make the best use of their day. If, for you, the Mynd is as much a social club as a flying club (and there are many), then this will probably be of little interest, but as it develops we hope that this may be a useful service for members juggling many demands on their time, to help ensure that their visits to the club are as productive as possible.

If members of our flying community would like to join, obviously you need to have WhatsApp installed on your mobile phone.

For us to add you to the group you need to be in one of the Administrators’ contact lists, so please text “MGC Group request” plus your first and last name (and membership number if known …don’t worry if you don’t know it just say so!) to Rob Shepherd on 07709352826 or to Sarah Platt on 07754070357.

Rob or Sarah will store the contact and add you to the group. By requesting access, you give your consent for MGC to use your name & mobile data for this purpose only. You may withdraw your consent at any time by removing yourself from the group, and also by requesting Rob/myself to remove you from the list of contacts.

All group members should create a (recognisable) photo of themselves in the WhatsApp Settings, together with their name in the About field (where it probably says “I’m using WhatsApp”), so that we can all associate names and faces with the telephone numbers. Also in Settings>Account>Privacy, make sure “Profile Photo” and “About” are set to “Everyone”.

We are also considering setting up other secure Whatsapp groups, for example for Instructors and for Winch Drivers and so on. If these are of interest, please let me know so that we can liaise with CFI & Chair, & if there’s sufficient interest then we will set this up too.

Mark Sanders (XC Lead) and Sarah Platt (Marketing & Membership)

Web site

A reminder: all web sites decay in terms of the relevance and currency of their content and ours is no different.   If you spot anything that needs refreshing,  is out of date or incorrect would you be kind enough to email Sarah marketing@midlandgliding.club or myself with the detail.  We intend to refresh the site in January.  Thanks to those who have let me know already and I would encourage you to offer more.  The web site is crucial to our membership plans.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Neal Clements, Denise Hughes, Peter Orchard, Jon Hall

Sunday:  Chris Alldis, Nigel Lassetter, Peter Orchard, Laurent Couval.

Forthcoming events

Christmas dinner  and presentation evening

We have rescheduled the above to the 24th of March,  please put it in your diaries and pray for a snow free weekend!  If you have already booked and are unable to make the date above then please can you let the kitchen know as we have a waiting list.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 13  This Saturday  – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – We are having to reschedule the talk on Euroglide,  I will blog more information as it becomes available.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.  Please ensure that this is in your diary.  For those of you who haven’t heard Hugh speak before it is essential listening and for those that have heard him before, even more so.  This is the perfect start to our season,  we want to keep safe and Hugh’s analysis and insight will help us do that.

March Expedition 2018.

We have not had enough interest from the Mynd or other clubs to make an expedition to Llanbedr viable, so we have decided that we are not going to Llanbedr next year. We have booked LLeweni Park in Denbigh from 10th March 2018 for a week for up to 12 gliders. 

If you want to go you need to book in your own glider, there is a £40 deposit, £20 of which is offset  against flying fees. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 per night for hangarage. There is a winch.

Unlike Llanbedr it has one narrow runway and you have to be able to land on it and roll to the end to be able to fly there, see this link.

If you want to fly P2  in a club 2 seater please email me at  mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to put your name on the list and I will do my best to arrange it.

You can take a caravan and stay on the airfield for £5 per night. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 a night hangarage (limited) They have a winch. 

If you want to go you can book yourself in at office@denbighgliding.co.uk

Spaces are limited to 12 and Cosford are also going, so don’t delay, do it today.

Please email mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to let me know you are going, and when you have booked in

Mike G

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/rules.html

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Jan 042018
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

Skylaunch Winch

The Skylaunch winch is losing power and the root cause is most probably a broken piston ring.  There were 3 options  considered by the committee:  repair the engine,  install a refurbished engine or replace the engine with a more powerful one.  The latter option is significantly more expensive than the others but the committee was unanimous in choosing it.  Having a reliable, powerful launch facility is regarded as essential for the future of the club

Web site

All web sites decay in terms of the relevance and currency of their content and ours is no different.   If you spot anything that needs refreshing,  is out of date or incorrect would you be kind enough to email Sarah marketing@midlandgliding.club or myself with the detail.  We intend to refresh the site in January.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Mike Greenwood, Geoff Dailey, William Brewis

Sunday:  Charles Carter, Geoff Dailey, Liz Adlard

Forthcoming events

Christmas dinner  and presentation evening

We are rescheduling the above to the 24th of March,  please put it in your diaries and pray for a snow free weekend!  If you have already booked and are unable to make the date above then please can you let the kitchen know as we have a waiting list.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

March Expedition 2018.

We have not had enough interest from the Mynd or other clubs to make an expedition to Llanbedr viable, so we have decided that we are not going to Llanbedr next year. We have booked LLeweni Park in Denbigh from 10th March 2018 for a week for up to 12 gliders. 

If you want to go you need to book in your own glider, there is a £40 deposit, £20 of which is offset  against flying fees. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 per night for hangarage. There is a winch.

Unlike Llanbedr it has one narrow runway and you have to be able to land on it and roll to the end to be able to fly there, see this link.

If you want to fly P2  in a club 2 seater please email me at  mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to put your name on the list and I will do my best to arrange it.

You can take a caravan and stay on the airfield for £5 per night. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 a night hangarage (limited) They have a winch. 

If you want to go you can book yourself in at office@denbighgliding.co.uk

Spaces are limited to 12 and Cosford are also going, so don’t delay, do it today.

Please email mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to let me know you are going, and when you have booked in

Mike G

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/rules.html

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Dec 212017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

Skylaunch Winch

The Skylaunch winch is losing power and is most probably a broken piston ring.  There are 3 options being considered by the committee:  repair the engine,  install a refurbished engine or replace the engine with a more powerful one.  I will blog the decision in the first blog of the new year.

Christmas wishes

I do hope you have a happy Christmas and let’s hope, as ever for a wonderful soaring year.  It’s a good time to reflect on the fabulous flights our sport allows us to enjoy and hope for more and even  better next year.  The next blog from me will be on the 4th of January.

Walter Baumann has written in with an idea for those stuck for Christmas ideas :- “Instead of (or in addition) to sending each other Christmas cards and presents, people make a donation to an agreed charity.  Given what our sport is, one of the Air Ambulance services might suitable charities.  So, if anyone wants to do this, the contact details of where to make donations are:”

Midlands: https://www.midlandsairambulance.com/how-to-support-us/ways-to-donate

Warwickshire/Northants service:  https://theairambulanceservice.org.uk/donate/form/

Wales: http://www.walesairambulance.com/donate.php

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Rob Hanks, Peter Orchard

Sunday:  see opening hours

Forthcoming events

Club opening hours over the holiday

The club will be closed from the 24th to the 26th and then we are asking for volunteer instructors to help out until the 4th. Unfortunately this year we have no catering and we are seeking volunteers for that.  If you can instruct or help with food then please can you call or email the office.

Christmas dinner  and presentation evening

We are rescheduling the above to the 24th of March,  please put it in your diaries and pray for a snow free weekend!  If you have already booked and are unable to make the date above then please can you let the kitchen know as we have a waiting list.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

March Expedition 2018.

We have not had enough interest from the Mynd or other clubs to make an expedition to Llanbedr viable, so we have decided that we are not going to Llanbedr next year. We have booked LLeweni Park in Denbigh from 10th March 2018 for a week for up to 12 gliders. 

If you want to go you need to book in your own glider, there is a £40 deposit, £20 of which is offset  against flying fees. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 per night for hangarage. There is a winch.

Unlike Llanbedr it has one narrow runway and you have to be able to land on it and roll to the end to be able to fly there, see this link.

If you want to fly P2  in a club 2 seater please email me at  mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to put your name on the list and I will do my best to arrange it.

You can take a caravan and stay on the airfield for £5 per night. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 a night hangarage (limited) They have a winch. 

If you want to go you can book yourself in at office@denbighgliding.co.uk

Spaces are limited to 12 and Cosford are also going, so don’t delay, do it today.

Please email mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to let me know you are going, and when you have booked in

Mike G

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/rules.html

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Dec 152017
 

After carful consideration it has been decided to cancel flying this weekend.

The roads up the hill are still blocked by snow, the hanger and the workshop are still blocked by snow, and if we did manage to get the winch and the gliders out the airfield is waterlogged.

If you fancy some exercise you are welcome to come up the club and have a cup of tea with Rob and Fay they will probably welcome the company, Asterton is a good walk.

Dec 142017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

BGA news

Please use the link below to view the latest BGA news.

BGA-News-November-17

Airspace

There is a proposed set of changes around the Daventry airspace. We are part of a group of clubs helping the BGA analyse the impact. This does demonstrate the importance of logging ALL of your cross country flights on the national ladder.  Something I have been poor at in the past but will improve next year. Without ladder flights then we have no proof we need airspace.

Marketing

Shrewsbury winter festival

Santa joined us at Shrewsbury Winter Festival

Despite the snow and blizzards an intrepid band led by James manned our stand at the Shrewsbury Winter Festival this weekend. Even Santa came to see us!

Due to the weather it was quieter than normal, however we had some really good conversations with people about gliding and membership. We added around £1,000 to club coffers in trial lesson & gliding experience sales and also signed up our first person onto the new Weekend Intro to Gliding package!

The people who made the festival happen were:  Chris (Tigger) Harris, David Brown, David Rance (glider rescue and storage), Holly Harris, James Moore, John O’Reilly, Jon Hall, Mark Saunders, Mark Williams, Martin McCurdie, Roger Ellis, Sarah Platt, Tim Mason and Roger Andrews for the use of his ME7.  And Chris Ellis, Dave Wedlock, Geoff Minshull, Guy & Dawn Hartland and Neal Clements for trying to venture out into the blizzard to man the stand.  I hope I’ve not missed anyone out.

This comes on top of the previous weekend’s very successful stand at Much Wenlock Xmas Fayre.

Overall these events have made a big impact in getting our name out locally and building our reputation, and we look forward to keeping in touch with everyone we met with our emails and blog, to keep us in their minds.

shrewsbury 2 shrewsbury 1

CFI

There is still no more concrete information on Steve but he is at home helping the club and the committee so do keep in touch with him.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday: Guy Hartland, Matthew Cook, Geoff Dailey

Sunday:  Alasdair Lewis, Charles Carter, Geoff Dailey, Tony Dietrich

The hill may be inaccessible please call before you set out.  Dave is blogging conditions so keep an eye on your emails.

Forthcoming events

 

Christmas dinner  and presentation evening

We will reschedule the evening, probably in March, as soon as we know we will publish the date.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

March Expedition 2018.

We have not had enough interest from the Mynd or other clubs to make an expedition to Llanbedr viable, so we have decided that we are not going to Llanbedr next year. We have booked LLeweni Park in Denbigh from 10th March 2018 for a week for up to 12 gliders. 

If you want to go you need to book in your own glider, there is a £40 deposit, £20 of which is offset  against flying fees. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 per night for hangarage. There is a winch.

Unlike Llanbedr it has one narrow runway and you have to be able to land on it and roll to the end to be able to fly there, see this link.

If you want to fly P2  in a club 2 seater please email me at  mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to put your name on the list and I will do my best to arrange it.

You can take a caravan and stay on the airfield for £5 per night. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 a night hangarage (limited) They have a winch. 

If you want to go you can book yourself in at office@denbighgliding.co.uk

Spaces are limited to 12 and Cosford are also going, so don’t delay, do it today.

Please email mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to let me know you are going, and when you have booked in

Mike G

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/rules.html

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Dec 082017
 

The snow is too difficult to negotiate so the meal and presentation on the 9th is cancelled.  We will announce the rescheduled date for the presentations and meal in due course.

Neal Clements: Chair

Dec 072017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

Marketing

We took a stand at the Much Wenlock festival and we sold ten trial lessons (plus 3 in the office) and added £780 to the Club’s bank account.  The members’ who manned the stand were:- James Moore, Chris Harris, Martin McCurdie, Sarah Platt, Tim Mason.    See the section on Shrewsbury below and do help out if you can.

Webcam

Our Webcam IT team have fixed the webcams, all we need now is the good weather to show on them.

Your team this weekend is:  (Weather depending)

Saturday:  Neal Clements, Allan Reynolds, Peter Orchard, Glyn Macarthur

Sunday:  Clive Crocker, Peter Orchard, John O’Reilly

If the Mynd is inaccessible we will be emailing,  updating the web site and blogging.

Forthcoming events

Marketing

As part of our campaign to increase membership and sell trial lessons as Christmas presents, we have taken a stand at Shrewsbury Winter Festival on the 9th & 10th of December.   If you can help with any of the following, please let Sarah know asap by emailing her at  marketing@midlandgliding.club or calling 07754 070357.

  • Setting up (Fri 8th),
  • Taking down (Sunday 5pm),
  • During the show itself (the show is open 10am-6pm on Sat, and 10am-5pm on Sunday HOWEVER we are only asking people to do a morning or an afternoon slot).

Many thanks!”

Christmas dinner  9 December

The weather looks like it might be against us so we will be providing updates as above.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

March Expedition 2018.

We have not had enough interest from the Mynd or other clubs to make an expedition to Llanbedr viable, so we have decided that we are not going to Llanbedr next year. We have booked LLeweni Park in Denbigh from 10th March 2018 for a week for up to 12 gliders.

If you want to go you need to book in your own glider, there is a £40 deposit, £20 of which is offset  against flying fees. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 per night for hangarage. There is a winch.

Unlike Llanbedr it has one narrow runway and you have to be able to land on it and roll to the end to be able to fly there, see this link.

If you want to fly P2  in a club 2 seater please email me at  mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to put your name on the list and I will do my best to arrange it.

You can take a caravan and stay on the airfield for £5 per night. It costs £8 per day per person, £9 a night hangarage (limited) They have a winch.

If you want to go you can book yourself in at office@denbighgliding.co.uk

Spaces are limited to 12 and Cosford are also going, so don’t delay, do it today.

Please email mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk to let me know you are going, and when you have booked in

Mike G

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/rules.html

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Nov 302017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

LUV is up and running

See the photo below of an extremely happy Steve Rudge.  This is a great opportunity for you to try your type evaluation skills. See if you can find the differences from EVV.

photo

CFI

It looks as if our CFI will be out of action for at least 3 months so until further notice all CFI matters are to be addressed to Simon. We all wish Steve a rapid recovery.

Members evening

The members evening was extremely well attended. So much so in fact that next time we will have to get a public address system. We were lucky to get the main part of the meeting done by the time the electricity went off!  The kitchen did a fantastic job and laid on a candlelit dinner. Simon Towers the treasurer gave a very clear explanation of the finances,  Sarah Platt showed what we are doing re the marketing and Simon Adlard stepped in for Steve Male and presented the current strategy and questions relating to the fleet.   The purpose of the meeting was to improve the communications to and between the members and help the committee on the members desires for the future. Please email me if you can offer any improvements to the content or format.

Astir single seater

One of the points to come out of the meeting was that we want as many “plastic” gliders as possible at the launch point available for solo flying. To help deliver that we are now using the Twin Astir as a solo machine for those who have been briefed on flying it. To quote one happy customer “I will happily fly it solo on the grounds of comfort and general performance.”.  On the Sunday it flew more than any of the single seaters.

Len Dent funeral

 Len Dents Funeral will take place on Tuesday the 5th of December at 12 Noon.

It will be at Birtley crematorium, Windsor road, Birtley Chester Le Street DH3 1PQ.

Tel no 0191 410 2381.

Some photos of Len can be found below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/borders_gc/8702732304/in/photostream/lightbox/

Webcam

As you can see on the website we have a problem with the imaging and information overlays of the webcams. Our webcam IT team are working to  resolve this.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Simon Adlard, Stephen Alexander, Liz Adlard

Sunday:  Chris Alldis, Denise Hughes, Stephen Alexander

Forthcoming events

Trailer Hitches

The electric supply to the North Rail is complete. Call the office if you wish for a connection.

Marketing

As part of our campaign to increase membership and sell trial lessons as Christmas presents, we have taken a stand at Shrewsbury Winter Festival on the 9th & 10th of December.   If you can help with any of the following, please let Sarah know asap by emailing her at  marketing@midlandgliding.club or calling 07754 070357.

  • Setting up (Fri 8th), 
  • Taking down (Sunday 5pm), 
  • During the show itself (the show is open 10am-6pm on Sat, and 10am-5pm on Sunday HOWEVER we are only asking people to do a morning or an afternoon slot).

Many thanks!”

Christmas dinner  9 December

Peter Turner has once again “volunteered” to run the raffle, however we need prizes.  Words of encouragement from Peter :-

“Dear members it’s that time of year when we ask you to be generous again and come up with some prizes for the Xmas lunch raffle. You have been so generous in the past which helps to bolster the social fund to provide the cash for some of those extras that the club budget might not be able to support.”

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

March Expedition 2018.

We have the opportunity to go to Llanbedr next year for the week commencing 10th March 2018, with the prices the same as last year, £20 per aircraft and £12 per person per day. This is a huge airfield with massive runways and access to Snowdon and the Welsh mountains, but it is quite expensive, we have to pay a one off fee in advance and there is no refund if the weather is bad.

The alternative is to go to Lleweni Park in Denbigh. This has a single narrow runway, it costs a £40 deposit plus £17 per day that you are there, and has a Skylaunch winch and a huge ridge and is a good wave site. We would probably also have access to a tug. It is more difficult to fly from, more difficult to get into Snowdonia but cheaper.

Please email mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk if you want to go on the expedition, and your preference of where to go. If not enough people want to go to Llanbedr we will go to Lleweni Park.

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Nov 232017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

The things we do for LUV

Your Chair and Roger Andrews spent a day at the CAA in Gatwick with the end result of a full set of paperwork so she is ready to go.  Lets hope we get as much wonderful flying out of her as we did EVV.

CFI

Unfortunately our CFI is going to be indisposed for an unknown period.  Simon Adlard has very kindly agreed to be the interim CFI so please address all CFI related issues to him.

Len Dent

Many members will have fond memories of Len.  He was dedicated to the Club and flying at the Mynd.  He had an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of the RAF and aircraft types from the earliest to the modern.  He recently saw the Battle of Britain film and found a number of technical flaws in the aircraft used in the film.  Show him an elevator or an engine part and he would identify where it belonged within seconds. As they often say in cases like this, he will be missed, and it is true.

Paul Fowler has written the short obituary below:-

Len joined the Club in the early 1970s, when he worked for Bulmers Cider in Hereford after a career in the RAF. He was a full category instructor for over 25 years, Club secretary and DCFI when he assisted running the courses one season with Jack Minshall.  He then moved to Loughton to teach having gained a degree from Sunderland.  He owned a share in a number of gliders including the PIK20D 688 and used to share the journey up from Loughton with the late Roland Bailey to fly at weekends.  Len sold his share in the PIK when he moved to live in Gateshead following his retirement.  He then joined the Northumbria Gliding Club and purchased a share in a K7 along with two other pensioners, whose combined age even then was over 200.  After a few years they took the K7 to Milfield to fly at the Borders Gliding Club and this led to annual Mynd expeditions to fly there, which still continue to be made. Len also purchased a share in a Sport Vega, which he sold a couple of years ago, and he was flying Club gliders until a few weeks ago. In between this extensive gliding activity, Len made a number of trips to glide at Minden in Nevada with Roland and to France at Chauvigny with the PIK syndicate.  

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Mike Witton, Walter Baumann, Geoff Dailey, Dave d’Arcy

Sunday:  Neal Clements, Matthew Cook, Geoff Dailey, Mark Wakem

A plea from the Marketing division

We are looking for good quality in-flight videos to use on our social media pages and website (with your permission) Can be 10seconds or 10mins, doesn’t matter. 20-30seconds is ideal. Also if you take any good quality photos around the club that you’re willing to share, we’d be really grateful. It could be airborne, at the launch point, around the hangar or even inside the clubhouse.  We want to showcase the club and need loads of images and videos to do so. You can send your images to marketing@midlandgliding.club or email me for a Dropbox link to upload them to. By submitting them you give MGC permission to use the content for marketing purposes (credited to you wherever possible). I would also like to get some printed up onto canvases around the clubhouse to brighten it up and give it a fresh look. We may also use them for a 2019 calendar.

Look forward to seeing your submissions and thank you in advance!

Forthcoming events

Trailer Hitches

The South trailer park has been re wired and we will be expanding the electricity for de humidifiers to the North trailer park.  I will provide more information once the kit is installed.

Christmas dinner  9 December

Peter Turner has once again “volunteered” to run the raffle, however we need prizes.  Words of encouragement from Peter :-

“Dear members it’s that time of year when we ask you to be generous again and come up with some prizes for the Xmas lunch raffle. You have been so generous in the past which helps to bolster the social fund to provide the cash for some of those extras that the club budget might not be able to support.”

Can I suggest you bring your prizes along to the members evening.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

Members evening

November 25 will be the members evening when the committee will present our strategy for the next 5 years and invite your input and approval.  We will present the strategy, the critical issues then a short presentation on the finances, the marketing and membership followed by the fleet.  Please be aware there will be audience participation!   I am expecting quite a lot of members to turn out so I suggest you call the kitchen on Friday and let them know you will be wanting to eat on the Saturday.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

March Expedition 2018.

We have the opportunity to go to Llanbedr next year for the week commencing 10th March 2018, with the prices the same as last year, £20 per aircraft and £12 per person per day. This is a huge airfield with massive runways and access to Snowdon and the Welsh mountains, but it is quite expensive, we have to pay a one off fee in advance and there is no refund if the weather is bad.

The alternative is to go to Lleweni Park in Denbigh. This has a single narrow runway, it costs a £40 deposit plus £17 per day that you are there, and has a Skylaunch winch and a huge ridge and is a good wave site. We would probably also have access to a tug. It is more difficult to fly from, more difficult to get into Snowdonia but cheaper.

Please email mail@mikegreenwood.co.uk if you want to go on the expedition, and your preference of where to go. If not enough people want to go to Llanbedr we will go to Lleweni Park.

Shobdon events

I am delighted to be able to publish Shobdon’s winter events as well as our own.  See below:-

The next evening will be on Wednesday 29th November, with two topics: 

Choosing a glider and how syndicates work’ – by Rose and Iain.  Advice for members looking to buy their first private glider, covering suitable gliders to choose and effective ways to organise a syndicate.

Venue: Bateman Arms in Shobdon village.

Timings: 7 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Nov 162017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future and the highlights from the last committee meeting.

This week.

Access road

This week, with help from Charles Carter who drove the excavator, we were able to do some more work which will further improve the drainage from the road.

We will continue to monitor the condition of the road over the coming weeks and will arrange more repair sessions as and when they are needed. Watch this space for future dates.

BGA conference

Sarah did a very well received marketing presentation, this is of major interest to all the clubs and we are leading the pack in some areas.  The conference was extremely well attended and provided a wealth of ideas to help us.

We received an update from the business rates team who are working tirelessly on our behalf.

8.33

Just a reminder the funding runs out in December so if you were wondering whether to claim then you need to act quickly.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Mark Sanders, Peter Orchard, Dave Cole (we may need a substitute).

Sunday:  Mark Sanders, Denise Hughes, Peter Orchard, Laurent Couval

Forthcoming events

Weekend

Poz is coming!  It is his birthday party this weekend so fingers crossed for good weather for him.

EASA

The conference was quite explicit that the delay to EASA implementation was to ensure that administration was in place and there is no evidence that the conversion will not take place. 

Safety

The BGA is getting concerned about aerotow accidents, I know we are only winch but many of us do goto aerotow sites so I urge everyone to pay attention to below:-

The BGA Safe Aerotowing webpage has been updated to reinforce the need to avoid distraction, and to highlight potential handling problems on tow. We’d be grateful if you would highlight the updated information among your club pilots.

https://members.gliding.co.uk/bga-safety-management/safe-aerotowing/

Christmas dinner  9 December

Peter Turner has once again “volunteered” to run the raffle, however we need prizes.  Words of encouragement from Peter :-

“Dear members it’s that time of year when we ask you to be generous again and come up with some prizes for the Xmas lunch raffle. You have been so generous in the past which helps to bolster the social fund to provide the cash for some of those extras that the club budget might not be able to support.”

Can I suggest you bring your prizes along to the members evening.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

Members evening

November 25 will be the members evening when the committee will present our strategy for the next 5 years and invite your input and approval.  We will present the strategy, the critical issues then a short presentation on the finances, the marketing and membership followed by the fleet.  Please be aware there will be audience participation!

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

Shobdon events

I am delighted to be able to publish Shobdon’s winter events as well as our own.  See below:-

The next evening will be on Wednesday 29th November, with two topics: 

Choosing a glider and how syndicates work’ – by Rose and Iain.  Advice for members looking to buy their first private glider, covering suitable gliders to choose and effective ways to organise a syndicate.

Venue: Bateman Arms in Shobdon village.

Timings: 7 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Committee highlights

The water supply testing has been commissioned

Price adjustments (except courses and accommodation) will be discussed at the December meeting after the members meeting.

Fleet.  LUV is waiting the CAA to tell us how to fast track the registration,  EVV we are awaiting the insurance, Discus will be opened up for sale generally.

Health and safety.  Continual progress is being made on the items, the priority items will be monitored by a separate meeting.

Buildings.  Rob Shepherd has had to resign,  Richard Bennett has kindly offered to take over the task, he will report to John O’Reilly at committee level

CFI report.  There will be a safety review on the 2nd of December with the regional examiner.

Finance.  the cashflow will be presented at the members meeting.  The business rates will be discussed at the BGA conference by the Chair and Roger Bagley of the BGA rating team.

We still only have 2 signatories for the bank account, getting 3 signatories is now a very significant priority for the club.

  1. We are doing tests on one of the main winches to find out what is causing the smoke.

Grounds.  Tim and Howard have done a great job on the access road, we will await the drainage work before scheduling another day.  Steve Middleton will be repairing 120 metres of fencing w/b 13 Nov

Land Rovers: we will continue with the small tanks and re fill at lunchtime if necessary.  Julian wants to use a second Shogun instead of Vitara as it will be more flexible in terms of winch towing

GDPR: John O’Reilly will be producing a set of milestones.

 

Nov 092017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future

This week.

Bonfire night 4th of November

A fantastic night, yet again thanks to Denise for organising the lighting and the setup and the kitchen who laid on a wonderful supper.  The social side of the club is one of our great assets so if you could help in any way then please do let me know.

LUV

From the 1st of September there is a new process regarding imported gliders so we are now learning, with our colleagues at the CAA, how to expedite this as quickly as possible.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Simon Adlard, Nigel Lassetter, Peter Orchard, John O’Reilly

Sunday:  Chris Alldis, Charles Carter, Peter Orchard, William Brewis

Forthcoming events

EASA

The Saga continues:-

EASA Pilot Licence Conversion. The CAA has reported that the outcome of the recent EASA Committee Meeting in Brussels, at which the UK Government was represented, has resulted in constructive progress on a number of important matters affecting the GA Community. The Committee voted positively on extending the Aircrew Regulation opt-out date for sailplane and balloon pilots. The BGA pilot licence conversion guidance has been updated to reflect the revised date by which pilots of EASA sailplanes must hold an EASA FCL SPL or LAPL(S), ie 8th April 2020.

 

Access road

Thank you to each of the members who turned up on Wednesday morning to help with the road repair works. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed a morning of work and witty banter in glorious autumn sunshine and sustained by the free tea and biscuits, we were able to make tremendous progress. Most of the potholes have now been filled and so the road is serviceable again.  The next phase will be to improve the drainage. Watch this space for news of when this will happen and if you are able to spare an hour or two to help out, please add your name to the list on the notice board.

The team of Howard Bradley, Steve  Foster, Martin McCurdie, Richard Bennett, Clive Crocker, the Chair  all ably led by Tim Mason made great progress.  There is a prize for naming the hard worker who managed to grab the correct end of the shovel in the photo below.

IMG_2037

Christmas dinner  9 December

The list is now full,  please ensure you have paid Faye the deposit to avoid disappointment!

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. They all start at 18:00 and if we have a speaker then we do ask for a small donation on the night to cover their expenses.  Book the date,  have a few flights, enjoy the talk then have a superb evening meal.

November 25 will be the members evening when the committee will present our strategy for the next 5 years and invite your input and approval.  I will provide more information next week but the committee are hard at work preparing facts and figures as well as presentations for you.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

First aid course 15 and 16 November

Once again we are able to offer a first aid course to interested parties see the poster below.  Let Mark know directly if you wish to attend.

longmynd outdoor pursuits 2 day 2

Shobdon events

I am delighted to be able to publish Shobdon’s winter events as well as our own.  See below:-

The next evening will be on Wednesday 29th November, with two topics: 

Choosing a glider and how syndicates work’ – by Rose and Iain.  Advice for members looking to buy their first private glider, covering suitable gliders to choose and effective ways to organise a syndicate.

Venue: Bateman Arms in Shobdon village.

Timings: 7 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Oct 262017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future

This week.

Last full week of operation

This week is the end of summer.  From Monday we revert to Winter operating so flying on Thursday through Sunday and the office Friday through Monday.  If the weather looks stunning and we can get a winch driver and instructor then we will blog in advance.

K23: step inside LUV and EVV

EVV will be out of action for a while, Simon Adlard is in charge of the restitution and we are chasing up the final registration with LUV so we will have a K23 available.

The Discus sale is going ahead,  more to be announced shortly

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:  Alasdair Lewis, Denise Hughes, Geoff Dailey, Jon Hall

Sunday:  Guy Hartland, Geoff Dailey,Glyn Macarthur.

Forthcoming events

Bonfire night 4th of November

Once again, we are offering the Mynd Bonfire extravaganza with a lovely bonfire, fireworks and mulled wine followed by a fabulous meal.

For this event to succeed we do need members to confirm they will be coming and will be willing to pay £10 a head for the fireworks.  Please can you email or call the office to confirm this.

If you haven’t been before then I can assure you it is a magical night,  the top of the Mynd is a special place to be on a crisp November evening.

Christmas dinner only a few places left!!!!

This will be on the 9th of December.  I do urge you to get your name down early, there were several very disappointed people last year as the numbers have to be limited.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. :-

Air traffic control have been and gone

What a fabulous start to the winter lecture series.  Andy Bagley from Birmingham ATC gave a riveting talk to a packed room.  Andy gave us a fascinating and extremely useful insight into Air traffic, both at Birmingham and in the country.  A very entertaining and informative speaker.   Many attendees signed up the reciprocal visit to ATC at Birmingham airport

Members evening

November 25 will be the members evening when the committee will present our strategy for the next 5 years and invite your input and approval.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

First aid course

Once again we are able to offer a first aid course to interested parties see the poster below.  Let Mark know directly if you wish to attend.

Dave Cole

Many of you have been asking after Dave and we all hope him a speedy recovery. I’m sure he will be hopping about as soon as he can (sorry Dave, couldn’t resist it).

Shobdon events

I am delighted to be able to publish Shobdon’s winter events as well as our own.  See below:-

This winter’s evening talks will start on Wednesday 1st November with one topic:

‘How to get high without drugs’ – a talk by Phil and Diana on wave soaring, aimed at everyone, from those who have done little or no wave flying, to those who have some wave experience, but would like to learn more or have a refresher.

The next evening will be on Wednesday 29th November, with two topics: 

Choosing a glider and how syndicates work’ – by Rose and Iain.  Advice for members looking to buy their first private glider, covering suitable gliders to choose and effective ways to organise a syndicate.

Venue: Bateman Arms in Shobdon village.

Timings: 7 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

longmynd outdoor pursuits 2 day 2

Oct 192017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future and the highlights of last week’s committee meeting.

This week.

K23: step inside LUV

The final bit of paperwork has now gone to the CAA so LUV will be ready to fly as soon as the weight of the paperwork exceeds the weight of the glider.  It should be in the next couple of weeks.  At this point I think it is worthwhile reminding everyone that we now have 2 pairs of similar aircraft and it is ESSENTIAL that they are logged separately.  Please do not write K13 or K23 in the logbook,  use the trigraph instead. This is a legal requirement.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday: Chris Alldis, Charles Carter, Peter Orchard, Tony Dietrich

Sunday:  Clive Crocker, Matthew Cook, Peter Orchard, Mike Dodwell

Forthcoming events

You will probably have seen the MGC events calendar on our web site.

This is a Google Calendar, but if you use your own online calendar, you can view this at the same time as your personal calendar – it will work with any calendar program which uses the ical format. For detailed information on how to do this, go to the bottom of the calendar page – http://www.midlandgliding.club/all-events/

Thanks to Geoff Minshull for organising this for us.

Half term juniors

The 23rd to the 27th will be half term juniors week, ably run by Paul Fowler so get your name down quickly.  Call or email the office.

Bonfire night 4th of November

Once again, we are offering the Mynd Bonfire extravaganza with a lovely bonfire, fireworks and mulled wine followed by a fabulous meal.

For this event to succeed we do need members to confirm they will be coming and will be willing to pay £10 a head for the fireworks.  Please can you email or call the office to confirm this.

If you haven’t been before then I can assure you it is a magical night,  the top of the Mynd is a special place to be on a crisp November evening.

Harry Entwhistle crowd funding

Harry Entwistle is a junior member and has been invited to train with the British Aerobatics Gliding Aerobatics Team. However, this means he will need lots of aerotows. He is  fundraising to be able to afford this. If you think you may want to help, please visit https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/harry-entwistle-aerobatics

 and have a read through his story

Christmas dinner only 12 places left!!!!

This will be on the 9th of December.  I do urge you to get your name down early, there were several very disappointed people last year as the numbers have to be limited.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. :-

Air traffic control are coming – attendees get the opportunity to visit Air traffic.

The first one will be the 21st of October and the deputy watch manager from Birmingham’s Air traffic will be coming along to fly, talk and have a meal with us.  I cannot over emphasise the importance of us understanding Air traffic’s needs and using every opportunity to communicate ours to them.   As an extremely generous gesture he has offered to reciprocate.  So turn up to the talk and put your name down for a visit to Birmingham ATC.  I have been before, twice, and I can thoroughly recommend it, they really do make you feel welcome and at last you can see what the Balls on the Clee do!  

Members evening

November 25 will be the members evening when the committee will present our strategy for the next 5 years and invite your input and approval.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

Shobdon events

I am delighted to be able to publish Shobdon’s winter events as well as our own.  See below:-

This winter’s evening talks will start on Wednesday 1st November with one topic:

‘How to get high without drugs’ – a talk by Phil and Diana on wave soaring, aimed at everyone, from those who have done little or no wave flying, to those who have some wave experience, but would like to learn more or have a refresher.

 

The next evening will be on Wednesday 29th November, with two topics: 

Choosing a glider and how syndicates work’ – by Rose and Iain.  Advice for members looking to buy their first private glider, covering suitable gliders to choose and effective ways to organise a syndicate.

Venue: Bateman Arms in Shobdon village.

Timings: 7 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.

 

chairman@midlandgliding.club

 

Last Committee meeting highlights

Trophies: we will be expanding the award system to include commendations

Courses and accommodation prices: we will leave course prices as they are and increase rooms to be more equitable with the surrounding area.   The course guarantee will be reworded to still offer a benefit but remove events beyond our control.

Health and Safety: we have negotiated 2 free first aid course places for staff

Marketing: The Ocktoberfest was excellent see previous blog.

MT and winching: there is white smoke from one of the main winches, to be investigated urgently.

Finance: the cashflow demands the sale of the Discus to replace the cost of the K23.

Buildings: Rob Shepherd has elicited the ideas for the old MT and workshop.  An agreed set of requirements to be created to evaluate the ideas against.

Grounds: The South end footpath diversion is complete except for some additional signs.

Fleet: the K21 aerobatic straps have arrived.  The Yellow K13 is scheduled for ARC and a deep investigation

Oct 162017
 

Just a quick heads up:-

Once again, we are offering the Mynd Bonfire extravaganza with a lovely bonfire, fireworks and mulled wine followed by a fabulous meal. 

For this event to succeed we do need members to confirm they will be coming and will be willing to pay £10 a head for the fireworks.  Please can you email or call the office to confirm this.

If you haven’t been before then I can assure you it is a magical night,  the top of the Mynd is a special place to be on a crisp November evening.

Chair

Oct 122017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday: Neal Clements, Allan Reynolds, Stephen Alexander, Dave d’Arcy  

Sunday:  Simon Adlard, Stephen Alexander, Liz Adlard.

Marketing

Oktoberfest took place last weekend in Shrewsbury. This was a massive project for us and we really appreciate the efforts of everyone involved, both beforehand to pull it all together over the space of 3 weeks(!), those who worked on the stand during the event, and now as we follow up.

 There were 10,000 visitors, we spoke to hundreds of them and now have over 50 people to call who are very interested in what our club has to offer.

 The results will flow through as we follow up and keep in touch with these interested folks, and I would be very surprised if we don’t end up with at least 4 or 5 new pilots joining our happy throng, just as a result of this one event!

 If you are interested in volunteering to help out at the next event (Shrewsbury Winter Festival on 9th and 10th Dec) please drop a message to Sarah (marketing@midlandgliding.club) or me (chairman@midlandgliding.club)

 The road

The response so far to requests for volunteers to work on road repairs has been disappointing.

Without a concerted effort the road surface will continue to deteriorate and we will soon find ourselves back where we were last winter. It is unreasonable to rely on the efforts of individual club members, so we need to put together a team of people who are willing to give up just a few hours on either a week day or a weekend to help out.

If you are prepared to help, please put your name on the list in the clubhouse or contact the office and let Martin know.

Forthcoming events

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. :-

Air traffic control are coming

The first one will be the 21st of October and the deputy watch manager from Birmingham’s Air traffic will be coming along to fly, talk and have a meal with us.  I cannot over emphasise the importance of us understanding Air traffic’s needs and using every opportunity to communicate ours to them.   As an extremely generous gesture he has offered to reciprocate.  So turn up to the talk and put your name down for a visit to Birmingham ATC .  I have been before, twice, and I can thoroughly recommend it, they really do make you feel welcome and at last you can see what the Balls on the Clee do!  

Members evening

November 25 will be the members evening when the committee will present our strategy for the next 5 years and invite your input and approval.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

Christmas dinner

This will be on the 9th of December.  I do urge you to get your name down early, there were several very disappointed people last year as the numbers have to be limited.

chairman@midlandgliding.club

Oct 052017
 

Hi everyone,  this is the regular Thursday posting to let you know what is coming up in the near future.

This week.

Airspace

The BGA have asked me to propagate their message re Airspace Change Proposals (ACPs).  Please read below;-

For a number of reasons, the number of Airspace Change Proposals (ACP’s) out for consultation at any one time is at an all time high. The CAA webpage describing the current status of each ACP is at https://www.caa.co.uk/…/Permanent-airspace-change-proposals/

The BGA’s approach to representation and consultations is described at https://members.gliding.co.uk/representation-and-consultations/

The BGA view is that the default categorisation for airspace is class G. We recognise that commercial air transport may need the level of protection that is currently provided through controlled airspace. You’ll be aware that the BGA does not oppose proposed airspace changes that in its view are reasonable and proportionate.

Unfortunately, UK airspace policy and the airspace change process is heavily tilted in favour of commercial operators. Within that process, responses from organisations such as BGA, LAA and others are usually considered as a single responses, which frequently leads to misrepresentation of the level of opposition when airspace sponsors submit their proposals to the regulator. It is really helpful if individual pilots carefully consider airspace change proposals that affect them and respond individually. This greatly supports centrally organised response efforts, which continue apace and which greatly benefit from significant effort and expertise from a number of individuals at clubs.

Please may I request that as club chairman you encourage your club’s involvement with relevant ACP’s and in particular please encourage your individual club members to respond to those ACP’s. This is a slight change from the past where we only encouraged mass involvement with specific ACP’s. We know its yet another burden, but these are challenging times.

Marketing news

HELP! Calling all graphic designers. We are seeking someone who has a flair for design and would be interested in working with us to help with designing artwork for marketing materials (leaflets, logos, posters etc). This might suit you for example:

  1. if you are currently studying design, or know someone who is,
  2. you may be one of our members who does this for a job,
  3. Or it may also suit someone who is interested in learning the art of design (training will be given).

All reasonable out of pocket expenses will of course be refunded.

If you are interested in finding out more or have any questions, please email me (chairman@midlandgliding.club) or Sarah (marketing@midlandgliding.club or 07754070357).

 

Taster Day a roaring success!

This year’s Taster Day in June was a real success story, thanks in no small part to everyone involved who made it happen. We achieved everything we set out to do and you can find out more about what we achieved by clicking here. Bear in mind too, that we hope to see even more benefits in terms of positive PR, new members and new returnees feeding through, as the attendees’ first 3-month memberships start coming to an end over the upcoming weeks and months.

 

New “First Principles” Marketing approach

You may be aware that we have begun to take a new approach to marketing the club. There is a move away from only having trial lessons to offer people, towards having more products available for people who really want to learn to fly and perhaps become members too.

This is a massive project, and the first steps have been to go back to first principles and design products that we hope potential members will be interested in.

As part of this we want to be seeing more people face to face and having conversations with them, so we are attending a range of shows and events locally, the first being OktoberFest in Shrewsbury this weekend. If you’re there, do pop in and say hello. If you’re one of the team helping on the stand, a massive thanks in advance. We will learn from this and use what works to make the next event even better.

If you have any questions on any of this, or indeed you may be able to offer your expertise in this area, then please contact Sarah (marketing@midlandgliding.club).

Your team this weekend is:

Saturday:   Mark Sanders, Matthew Cook, David Brown, Laurent Couval

Sunday:  Mike Witton, Denise Hughes, David Brown, Dave Cole

Forthcoming events

Classic car tour

On the 7th of October we will once again welcome the classic car rally.  They will arrive, have a cup of tea, relax and then head off again.  They are a stunning sight and we welcome them every year.  Iin return they take our leaflets and distribute them far and wide for us to aid recruitment.  They expect to arrive between 10 and 11.

Winter talks

Denise has worked out a superb schedule for this winter’s lectures. :-

Air traffic control are coming

The first one will be the 21st of October and the deputy watch manager from Birmingham’s Air traffic will be coming along to fly, talk and have a meal with us.  I cannot over emphasise the importance of us understanding Air traffic’s needs and using every opportunity to communicate ours to them.   As an extremely generous gesture he has offered to reciprocate.  So turn up to the talk and put your name down for a visit to Birmingham ATC.  I have been before, twice, and I can thoroughly recommend it, they really do make you feel welcome and at last you can see what the Balls on the Clee do!

November 25 will be the members evening when the committee will present our strategy for the next 5 years and invite your input and approval.

January 13 – National Trust.  All of your questions answered (who does own the horses?) and the trust’s plans for the future development of the Mynd.

February 24 – Julian has very kindly offered to talk about Euro Glide with us.  More details closer to the time but I can assure you it is absolutely brilliant and will inspire you.

March 10 – Hugh Browning the BGA safety wizard.

Christmas dinner

This will be on the 9th of December.  I do urge you to get your name down early, there were several very disappointed people last year as the numbers have to be limited.

chairman@midlandgliding.club