Webcams and weather
Webcams and weather
We have various cams and weather stations displayed here. Do always check the date and time on any images, just to make sure you are getting the most recent. Sometimes a device will go offline, and it might take a while to fix. Not all the cams and weather stations belong to the MGC – we share information with the hang gliders and paragliders of the Long Mynd Soaring Club (LMSC).
Static webcams at the Mynd
MGC Webcam: Pointing west to the windsock at the MGC
LMSC Webcam: Pointing north to the LMSC launch site.
Updated at 10 minute intervals. (See here for previous images: https://www.mysolarcam.com/LongMyndNorth/)
LMSC webcam looking SSW down the ridge to Black KnollUpdated at 10-15 minute intervals. (See here for previous images: https://www.mysolarcam.com/LongMyndSouth/)
Time lapse webcams at the Mynd
On a mobile device, use these links instead: west cam and hangar cam and trailer cam.
West cam: this is located in the club house, and shows the sky state facing west.
Hangar cam: this is mounted on the hangar, facing east.
Trailer cam: this faces SE over the rigging area.
Weather stations at the Mynd
MGC (updated every five minutes):
LMSC weather station at the Mynd
LMSC webcam and weather station at Clatter
This is located on their SW site at Clatter. Wind strengths etc. will be pretty accurate in a southerly wind, possibly slightly less so in other directions.
Clatter web cam
Updated at 10 minute intervals.
Other sources of weather information:
- RASP (Regional Atmospheric Soaring Prediction) is one of the best resources. For an overview of the day go to ‘Spot Forecasts’, where it says ‘BGA Turning Point’, and select MYN (hitting the M key is the easiest way to find it). This will give you an overview of weather at the Mynd, including wind direction and strength, rain forecast and the ‘Star Rating’, which will give you an indication of how good the day is. This is the most important site for thermal prediction.
- The BBC Weather Page is a good place to start for an overview.
- Rain Today is good for predicting when rain will arrive, or any clearances ahead.
- XC Weather is a good site for predicting the wind strength and direction.
- Windyty is a look at global weather patterns, but you can zoom in to see local weather.