Considered as one of the very best sites in the country, with stunning views into Wales, the five-mile-long ridge facing the prevailing westerly winds is ideal for extended fight times when thermals do not oblige.
Our courses are led by professionals supported by experienced instructors. Our accommodation and catering are probably the best in the gliding movement and our bar is stocked with the finest Shropshire beers.
You are seeing this page because you have registered to attend one of our professional courses. Well done, you made the right choice. Read on to find key information.
Whether you are spreading your wings for the first time, looking for a different holiday experience, or have a specific flying goal in mind, our courses are for pilots of all levels.
We appreciate that everyone has different requirements. Our instructors will tailor a flying program designed to give you the best chance of making progress during your stay with us.
To speed up your progress, we use a combination of:
- Daily briefings, outlining the plan for the day
- Ground School, to cover the essential theory
- Simulator, to lay the foundations of a new skill or to practice flying a task
- Gliders and Motor Glider, to perfect skills and bring them all together in the air
Over the decades the Club has been offering courses, the maximum number of students to instructor ratio has reduced. There is a balance between the ability to progress, the amount of flying, running the airfield and the price. This year we are offering:
- Standard – the maximum student-to-instructor ratio of 4:1
- Premium – the maximum student-to-instructor ratio of 3:1.
- Solo – share a single seater with one other. The Solo course is for solo pilots who want to use the week to fly alone (aside from a couple of check fights at the start of the week), to hone their skills or just for the sheer pleasure of it.
Our courses include three months’ membership of the Club, so you can come and fly at membership rates during the three months after your course ends. If you decide to join as a Full Member by the end of the course you will receive a substantial discount on the fee.
Membership for the year up to the following March 31st is charged on a sliding scale based on the number of months left to the end of the membership year.