Gliding Courses, the quickest way to spread your wings in 2023
If you are looking for a gliding course, you have come to the right place. We have a rich heritage teaching people to glide since 1934.
Considered as one of the very best sites in the country, with stunning views into Wales, the five-mile-long ridge facing the prevailing westerly winds is ideal for extended fight times when thermals do not oblige.
Our courses are led by professionals supported by experienced instructors. Our accommodation and catering are probably the best in the gliding movement and our bar is stocked with the finest Shropshire beers.
In 2023, our first course will start on Monday, 17th of April and, twenty-one courses later, end on Friday 23rd of September. View the Course Calendar
Download the 2023 Course Brochure
Whether you are spreading your wings for the first time, looking for a different holiday experience, or have a specific flying goal in mind, our courses are for pilots of all levels.
We appreciate that everyone has different requirements. Our instructors will tailor a flying program designed to give you the best chance of making progress during your stay with us.
To speed up your progress, we use a combination of:
- Daily briefings, outlining the plan for the day
- Ground School, to cover the essential theory
- Simulator, to lay the foundations of a new skill or to practice flying a task
- Gliders and Motor Glider, to perfect skills and bring them all together in the air
Over the decades the Club has been offering courses, the maximum number of students to instructor ratio has reduced. There is a balance between the ability to progress, the amount of flying, running the airfield and the price. This year we are offering:
- Standard – the maximum student-to-instructor ratio of 4:1
- Premium – the maximum student-to-instructor ratio of 3:1.
- Solo – share a single seater with one other. The Solo course is for solo pilots who want to use the week to fly alone (aside from a couple of check fights at the start of the week), to hone their skills or just for the sheer pleasure of it.
Our courses include three months’ membership of the Club, so you can come and fly at membership rates.
Accommodation & Catering
The Club has a range of onsite accommodation to meet all requirements from the ensuite and private rooms to bunk rooms. If you prefer, you can bring your caravan, motor home or tent. Alternatively, we can recommend a local B&B, public house or hotel.
Prepared with love, the food offered by our catering team goes from simple to a menu you would expect in a gastropub. Could you eat the legendary Long Mynd Breakfast?
How much does it cost?
The headline price, before discounts, for a standard (4:1) five-day course at the start and the main season are £476 and £595.
The headline price, before discounts, for a premium (3:1) five-day course is £750. If the Solo source option appeals, that is £440 for five days.
Accommodation in a private room starts from £25 or £10 per night if you prefer to camp.
We offer discounts:
- Early Booking & Payment – if you book and pay in full before the end of February, we offer a discount of 10% off the accommodation and course fees.
- Members – with an annual membership (BGA 2nd Club, Introductory, Full and Junior) are rewarded with a 25% discount off the course fee. Members also benefit from the early booking and payment discount on accommodation and course fees.
If we cancel your holiday due to COVID-19, you have the choice to receive all your money back, including the deposit, or book a later course. If you cancel your course booking because, under the COVID-19 regulations, you are self-isolating or unable to travel to the Club, then the same options apply.
To find out more:
The 2023 course brochure and the course booking, and information forms are available by following the links below.
How do I book my course?
To book your course, download and complete the course information and booking form, and return it to the Club. We will then confirm your place and issue you with a “click to pay” invoice for your deposit. This year’s booking form is below for reference.
- You can check availability at: Check Course Availability
- Download, complete and return the Course Booking and Information Form.
The Mynd – a special place in the heart of every glider pilot
Still got questions? Our office staff are ready to help. During the winter the office is open between 10:00 and 16:00 Saturday and Sunday.
The office phone number is 01588 650206, option 1. During the winter week, we aim to respond to emails.